What is Asthma?
Asthma is inflammation of airways with excessive mucous excretion which makes breathing difficult for indivisual, but fortunately it is a reversible condition.
What are the risk factors for asthma?
- more common in childhood.
- generally boys more affected than girls.
- family history of asthma ( be it parents or grandparents).
- having history of allergic disorders like dermatitis, rhinitis, frequent urticaria.
- exposure to smoking- both active and passive smoking is responsible.
- environmental factors: air pollution ( smoke, smog or dust), factory smoke or pollen/hay exposure.
- occupational exposure to paints, chemicals in hairdressing or manufacturing.
- in some people excercise may also precipitate symptoms.
- household factors: exposure to dust mites, pets and smoke.
- being overweight is also a risk factor for asthma.
- children who are frequent wheezers in childhood are strong candidates for developing asthma.