Asthma is not a disease, its a reversible medical condition in which the airways of the person gets constricted, inflamed and start producing extra mucous making it difficult for the person to breathe properly.
- The term “reversible” needs to be highlighted as with proper management the condition can be kept under control,leading a normal life, else it can be life threatening also.
- begins in childhood.
- persons with family history of allergy are prone to develop asthma.
- environment with exposure to smoking, pets, air pollution and dust mite may trigger the condition.
- some medications like beta blockers and aspirin can precipitate the condition.
- presents with recurrent cough, wheeze, chest tightness and air hunger.
- may also present as life threatening respiratory failure in first episode itself.
- diagnosis is clinical based on history,examination and lung function test.
- treatment is avoidance of allergens with compliance to medications which are short acting relievers and long acting controllers.